This holiday season try a family favorite, sugar christmas cookies! Delicious sugar cookie dough that shapes perfectly with all of your cookie cutters. Make turkeys or christmas tress that look as good as they taste!
• 4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1 cup butter, softened
• 1-3/4 cups sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 4 egg yolks
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 tablespoons hot water
• 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
• Optional toppings: colored or granulated sugar and walnut halves
1. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and nutmeg.
In another bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and
fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and eggs. Dissolve baking soda in hot
water. Add sour cream and dissolved baking soda to creamed
mixture. Gradually beat in flour mixture (dough will be sticky).
Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. Working with one-third of the batch at
a time, roll dough on a well-floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness.
(Cover and refrigerate remaining dough until ready to roll.) Cut
with a floured 2-1/2-in. round or other shaped cookie cutter.
Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle
tops with sugar and top with walnuts.
3. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set but not browned.
Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.